We are committed to helping families afford this choice.
HWS recognizes that for some families, financing an independent school education may be a challenge. We are committed to helping these families afford HWS.
Tuition assistance is awarded to families by Haleakalā Waldorf School. HWS uses the confidential data analysis service by SSS at NAIS to guide the HWS Tuition Assistance Committee.
HWS has a limited amount of financial assistance which is granted on the basis of need and availability. HWS attempts to help as many families as possible.
Please note the following:
- Financial aid decisions are made independently of the admissions process.
- Award amounts may vary from year to year, depending on the total aid available, the overall need of all applicants, and the date of submission of the application.
- Only applications that have been completed will be processed.
- If parents are unmarried, separated, or divorced, each parent must complete a separate application.
To be eligible for Tuition Assistance, families must meet the following requirements:
- Families must demonstrate financial need by completing the application including submitting the required documents.
- Current students of HWS must have accounts in good-standing.
- Students must not be eligible for other assistance programs such as; via the State of Hawaii, the County of Maui, or as a benefit through an employer or college. See Alternate Assistance Programs section below for more details.
Complete the following steps by March 1, 2024:
Go to the School and Student Services (SSS) website: https://sssandtadsfa.force.com/familyportal
Follow the links to apply and be sure to enter the HWS school code: 3645
2. Submit supporting documents to SSS
The following documents are required with each application and for each parent/guardian:
- 2023 Federal Income Tax Return (IRS Form 1040), signed copy, including schedules and forms
- 2023 W2(s) (if applicable)
- 2023 Federal Business Income Tax Return(s), signed copy, including schedules and forms (in the case of self employment activity)
Your documents will need to be in electronic format or scanned to use this option. Application and tax documents are to be submitted directly to SSS for processing. Please do not submit to HWS.
3. Pay the SSS processing fee
The non refundable fee may be submitted with your PFS online (or you may mail a check or money order payable to SSS). The SSS fee for the 2024-25 school year is $55.00. See https://parents.nais.org for more information.
If you have questions or need assistance completing your PFS or submitting your documents to SSS, contact the Customer Service Center for Parents at 1.800.344.8328 or SSSandTADSFA@communitybrands.com.
Questions regarding the Tuition Assistance process or status of an award are directed to our HWS Business Office 808.878.2511, extension 14.
Parents are encouraged to communicate with the Tuition Assistance Committee c/o the HWS Business Office should the family no longer experience as great a need as they did at the time of TA application. In this way, funds may be available and awarded to families with greater need.
Appeal Process for Additional Tuition Assistance
An appeal of the TA award may be made by sharing any extenuating circumstances not previously disclosed in the application process. Please send any questions or appeal requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternative Assistance Programs
Students may be eligible for HWS Tuition Assistance if they do not receive funding through other assistance programs. Other assistance programs include benefits through a parents employer, the resources of family members or friends, and the funding listed below.
Need based tuition assistance for preschoolers:
Child Care Connection Hawaii (Subsidies)
PATCH Hawaii Preschool Open Doors (POD)
Kamehameha Schools Pauahi Keiki Scholarship
Need based tuition assistance for students entering 6th or 9th:
To learn about more tuition assistance options, please contact email@example.com.