Employment at Haleakalā Waldorf School
Haleakalā Waldorf School is located on two campuses: the early childhood classes and grades 1-8 are on the Kealahou campus in Upcountry Kula, Maui, a rural plantation-era campus of five acres on the gentle slope of Mt. Haleakalā , surrounded by nearby green pastures. Biodynamic gardens, a large amphitheater, and sweeping bi-coastal ocean views grace the historic wooden green buildings with large lanais and red roofs. The Kaluanui High School campus is located on the beautiful grounds of the Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center, in Upcountry Makawao, Maui.
Founded in 1972, Haleakalā Waldorf School’s enrollment is approaching 300 students. Haleakalā Waldorf School was the first Waldorf School to receive a triple crown of accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, the Association of Waldorf Schools of North American, and the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools.
The host Hawaiian culture thrives at Haleakalā Waldorf School, with its students versed in ancient chants and protocol, as well as beloved songs of the islands. Festivals are strong, communal events, with experienced trained teachers leading the way. Families often build their lives around the activities of the school, socializing together as well as contributing to their children’s education.
Haleakalā Waldorf School welcomes, values, and supports racial, religious, economic, and cultural diversity. Our school seeks a diverse faculty and student body and is committed to having our school reflect the abundant and changing diversity of the United States. We welcome, value, and support single, dual, or multiple parent households and LGBTQ parents, faculty, and/or students.
HWS offers full-time employees a generous compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental, drug, and vision coverage; a retirement plan; a tuition remission program; and a professional development program.
Employees in part-time positions enjoy a competitive salary, medical, dental, drug, and vision coverage, and a retirement plan as per eligibility.
Current openings at HWS
Early Childhood Assistant
Our Early Childhood Department is currently seeking a full-time assistant teacher to join our team for the 2019-20 school year. The ideal applicant cherishes children, possesses a positive attitude, and enjoys working collaboratively in a supportive role to the lead teacher. Early childhood is an active and creative setting that requires a strong work ethic, high-energy and an ability to anticipate.We are looking for dynamic individuals who are interested in joining our well established community on the beautiful island of Maui.
· Waldorf Early Childhood Certificate or working towards certification or an agreement to begin training in Waldorf education
· Experience working in a Waldorf EC program
· Qualified as Assistant Teacher for Hawaii childcare center licensing
Follow this link to view Hawaii child care center licensing requirements:
Early Childhood Aide and Aftercare
The Haleakalā Waldorf School is currently seeking a kind and loving lead Aftercare Teacher for our Early Childhood children. Waldorf training and experience is preferred. We are looking for dynamic individuals who are interested in joining our well established community on the beautiful island of Maui. Kindergarten Aide hours hours are 12:30 to 5:00pm M-Th and 12:30 to 3:00pm Friday. Duties include helping with children during nap and transition to after care. After nap, the aide assumes the role of lead teacher in after care. 12 EC units required for childcare center licensing. DHS teacher level required. (20.5 hrs)
Eligible candidates must be qualified as a lead teacher under state of Hawaii childcare center licensing.
Follow this link to view Hawaii child care center licensing requirements:
Early Childhood Aide
The Haleakalā Waldorf School is currently seeking a kind and loving Aide Teacher to help care for our early childhood children. The ideal applicant cherishes children, possesses a positive attitude, and enjoys working collaboratively in a supportive role to the lead teacher. Early childhood is an active and creative setting that requires a strong work ethic, high-energy and an ability to anticipate.We are looking for dynamic individuals who are interested in joining our well established community on the beautiful island of Maui.
This is a part time position and the hours will vary depending on experience. The ideal candidate for this Aide position will have experience working in a Waldorf early childhood setting.
Preschool Aide hours are 12:00 to 3:00pm M-Th. Duties are to help with children during nap and with the transition after nap to the after care program. This is a part time position (12 hrs). 12 EC units preferred.
High School Administrative Assistant
Under the leadership and direction of the High School Program Director, the High School Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the effective day-to-day administrative functions of the HWS High School on the Kaluanui Campus. These functions include, but are not limited to, communications, student records, administrative operations, information technology, facilities, and safety.
- Provide general administrative support to high school department on Kaluanui Campus.
- Ensure positive communications and interpersonal relations with students, parents/guardians, staff, vendors, and Hui No’eau employees. Receive incoming communications and correspondence. Respond to inquiries, visitors, and parent questions in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintain files, including student records, personnel, payroll, and other general files, in an orderly and confidential manner.
- Effective use of information technology, which includes computer systems, office equipment, communications systems, and databases for the site.
- Assist in planning and coordination of campus events, including campus tours and graduation.
- Assist faculty and staff in the event of an emergency.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Any combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described.
- Successful experience using databases to establish and maintain detailed records.
Must possess and maintain up-to-date knowledge of:
- Customer service skills.
- Operation of computer and assigned software applications.
- Office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Report generation.
- Basic research and problem-solving techniques.
Required Skills and Abilities
Must be able to:
- Communicate effectively both in oral and written form.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents/guardians, staff, and outside agencies.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate consistent detail-oriented work habits and strong time-management skills.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills.
- Work independently and make decisions within the framework of established guidelines.
- Operate standard office equipment.
- Maintain student database system.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Proofread material and make necessary corrections.
- Prepare school reports, letters, and other documents.
- Learn new software applications as needed.
- Respond quickly and responsibly in emergency situations.
- Understand and maintain confidentiality of student and program information.
- Administrative assistant experience in a school office or similar setting.
- Proficiency in Google Apps Suite, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in BigSIS student database system.
- Basic first aid techniques.
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following in PDF format to email@example.com
• Cover letter
• 3 references (1 from most recent employer)
• Employment Application (HWS will provide)
We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you and your family into our Ohana.
To learn more about Haleakalā Waldorf School please visit us at:
Haleakalā Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for your interest!